The Pelham Historical Society
Pelham, MA
Pelham Historic Complex

Visiting the Museum
and Historical Complex


The Pelham Historical Society Museum
and Historical Complex are located on top of Pelham hill at the intersections of Amherst Road and Daniel Shays Highway (RT 202)
376 Amherst Road - Pelham, MA 01002
(413) 253-7313
The museum is opened to the public on Sunday afternoons 1:30 PM to 4:30 PM from June through September.
The Historical Complex grounds are opened year round from dawn to dusk.
View Larger Map
The Pelham Historical Society Museum is located in the former Pelham Hill Congregational Church. Built in 1840, the building was used by the church until 1936 when, with the coming of the Quabbin Resevoir, all three Pelham Churches merged at West Pelham to become the Federated Church of Pelham (which latter became the United Church of Pelham until December 2013). This building was not used, except for sporadic meetings, between 1936 and 1971, and had badly fallen into a state of disrepair.

Meanwhile, the Pelham Historical Society was formed on May 9, 1966 at the home of Kenneth Thornton. The emphasis for the formation was to block a proposed sale of the Pelham Hill Congregational Church bell, which has been in the steeple since the Civil War.

Lt. Col. William Foerster was the first President of the Society. Other individuals instrumental in the Society's founding were: Mrs. Russell Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Roy Hawley, Mrs. John Cary, Leslie Kimball, Auburn Weaver, Mrs. William Partridge, Mrs. Edwin Whipple, MRs. Guy Deed, Kenneth Thornton, Ada Collis, William Chaffee, and others.

After extensive repairs carried out by the society in 1968, the building opened up as the Pelham Historical Society Museum in 1971. The museum now holds artifacts from the society's permanent collection, as well as special exhibits.


The Museum is Open Sundays, 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM
July through September.






Hello ec2-54-80-158-127.compute-1.amazonaws.com from 54.80.158.127
Valid HTML 4.01!Valid CSS!